Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Never fails quick chocolate party cake recipe

I wanted to share with you a never fail really quick chocolate cake recipe, my children always want it for their birthday tea cake and any other events in between, I have tis recipe written out in my favourite recipes file, but I am not sure where it came from originally, I know I didn't invent it and that is as far as I can go with the source I am afraid. This recipe is quick, easy and never fails so here goes , you will need the following:

Cake
8oz caster sugar
3 eggs
4oz plain flour
2 heaped teaspoons baking powder
2 heaped tablespoons cocoa powder
4floz milk
1 tablespoon of butter/margarine about the size of an egg

Frosting

3oz butter
6oz icing sugar
3 table spoons cocoa powder


Heat your oven to 180 degrees centigrade and line 2 x 8 inch sandwich tins with baking parchment , preparation and all that business.

Next place your milk and egg sized blob of butter or marg whichever you are using in a saucepan and place on a low heat.

Melt butter in the milk
Melt butter in the milk

While your butter is melting place your eggs and sugar in a large mixing bowl

Beat eggs and sugar
Beat eggs and sugar

Beat until smooth and creamy


Add in your flour, baking powder and cocoa powder and mix well

When your butter has melted in your milk and the milk is starting to froth around the edge

Melted butter and milk
Melted butter and milk

Pour the milky mix into your mixing bowl with the other ingredients and mix well


Chocolate cake mix finished
Chocolate cake mix finished

Distribute evenly between your sandwich tins

Chocolate cake mix in tin
Chocolate cake mix placed in tins

Throw your filled sandwich tins in the middle of your pre heated oven for approximately 18 minutes or until springy to the touch and cooked through, insert a skewer to check if comes out clean it is cooked,

Chocolate party cake recipe finished
Finished chocolate party cake

Leave to cool , and when they are cool you can make the frosting, this recipe gives enough to sandwich between the two cakes, a spreading on the top and some in the bowl to lick afterwards.

Sieve your icing sugar and cocoa powder in a bowl and add the butter or marg

Chocolate buttercream recipe
Chocolate buttercream recipe

Beat it all together squashing the butter into the powder, you have to work hard at this it seems like there isn't enough butter for a while, be patient, you want a spreadable consistency but not so thin it slips off the top of the cake, you may have to add a very tiny touch of water to thin it .Spread it on one of your cakes and plop the other on the top and spread some more of the frosting on the top.

Chocolate butter cream in the cake
Place the chocolate buttercream in the cake

Chocolate party cake iced
Iced chocolate party cake


I add chocolate buttons to the top of the cake sometimes or smarties or grated chocolate, they stick nicely to the buttercream.
I cannot vouch for how long this cake will keep as we have never got past day two.

Helpful Hints


I though I would share a few helpful hints I have found through the years of making and eating endless cakes

1) I don't buy self raising flour , I always buy plain and add the appropriate amount of baking powder to convert it to self raising, I am sure there are some puritans that will tell me I shall burn in bakers hell for this , but I like space in my cupboards and don't want weavels from having endless bags of flour

2) Cocoa powder I just use standard cheap as chips cocoa powder, none of this 70% cocoa solids , if you like that kind of thing that is fine, but I am yet to hear my five year old proclaim that her cake does not have a high enough cocoa solids content, I am not entering the Great British Bake off I am cooking for my family.

3) I use whichever butter or marg I have to hand again not entering a baking competition, my family will devour the cake if I am using cheap marg or expensive butter, maybe we just have no class .

4) I have also cooked this cake by doubling the quantity and baking in a roasting tray lined with baking parchment , spreading on the frosting, or just a plain icing, cutting into squares and open freezing then sealing in freezer bags and they are brilliant for picnics or lunchboxes, once defrosted. This cake is also great in the winter without the frosting and served with hot custard.


Enjoy your cake

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...